ALL THROUGH THE DAY



“I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved” (Psalm 16:8)

As my feet touched the ground this morning, I was still groggy with sleep. But I bowed my head in prayer and asked the Lord to be with me through the day. I gave my life to Him and began to praise Him for His goodness. After starting breakfast, I opened up my Bible and feasted on the Psalms before eating breakfast. A hearty breakfast keeps me going all morning long. Will a Quiet Time with Jesus first thing in the morning do the same thing?

Yes and no. Yes, it will bring nourishment to help me grow in the Lord. But it’s not enough to start and end my day with Jesus. I must bring Him with me all through the day. It’s easy to forget the lessons I’ve learned in my morning devotions. Temptations batter me right and left and I’m pulled in so many directions. I need to train my mind to keep the Lord always before me. I need to abide in His presence.


“When the mind dwells on self, it is turned away from Christ, the source of strength and life. Hence it is Satan’s constant effort to keep the attention diverted from the Savior and thus prevent union and communion of the soul with Christ. The pleasures of this world, life’s cares and perplexities and sorrows, the faults of others, or your own faults and imperfections—to any or all of these He will seek to divert the mind. Do not be misled by his devices…

All this turns the soul away from the Source of our strength. Commit the keeping of your soul to God and trust in Him. Talk and think of Jesus. Let self be lost in Him. Say with the apostle Paul, “I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20. Rest in God. He is able to keep that which you have committed to Him. If you leave yourself in His hands, He will bring you off more than conqueror through Him that has loved you.” (Steps to Christ, pg. 71)


The battle today is over your mind. Where will your thoughts be? Turn them toward the Son to find peace and strength. As you’re driving in the car or your hands are busy, turn off the noise of the radio and open your heart to God. Meditate on His amazing grace and wonderful love. Praise Him for His goodness and claim His promises as you talk to Him in prayer. We can live in the presence of heaven all through the day when we train our minds to go up to Jesus.

I love singing this little song, “Love Him in the morning when you see the sun arising. Love Him in the evening ‘cause He took You through the day. And in the in-between time, when you feel the pressure rising, remember that He loves you and He promises to stay.” Jesus says, “I will be with you always” (Matthew 28:20). “I will never leave you or forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5). 

That’s where Jesus will be.  But it’s our choice to decide where we will be. Will we be with Him all day long? Keep the Lord always before you by keeping Him in your thoughts and prayers. Sing of His grace. Sing of His mercy. And have a day filled with Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment