BLINDERS

November 23, 2012
It's not always easy to keep your thoughts in heaven. We tend to focus on what's in front of us or what we can touch with our hands. This keeps the focus on us rather than on God. But Christ is very gentle as He removes the blinders from our eyes. He never overwhelms us by pointing out everything all at once.
     But there's no two ways about it. The blinders have to go! Otherwise, we can't know God in all His dimensions. We can't see how high or how deep His love really is. When I first accepted Jesus, I thought I had it all figured out. If I could only get rid of my temper, I'd have it made and be ready for heaven! My friends laugh when I say this--they probably learned before I did how foolish this was. For my temper was only one symptom of my heart's condition. What I needed was a new heart.
     When I started out on this new spiritual journey, I think my eyes were skewed again. I didn't realize how empty I was. I thought everything was right between me and God. But I couldn't escape the pull of the Spirit that dogged my every step. Had I lost my first love for Jesus? I didn't really know. All I knew then was a gnawing hunger for Jesus. My heart cried out, "More, Jesus! I need You more!" And slowly, I began to hear the Spirit's answer, "Yes, my child, much more!"
     Once we feel this emptiness, Jesus can fill us to overflowing. It's like the cap on the pitcher is gone and He can just pour in His presence. But as long as we're satisfied with what we have, the best we can do is have Him by the teaspoon. We can never enter into the depth of communion He so longs to give!
     Do you feel like something's missing like I did? Do you hunger and thirst for Jesus? Then this is the evidence that the Spirit is working in your heart. He's taking off the blinders so you can see how much you need Jesus. Because He wants to come in and do for you what is impossible for you to do for yourself--to give you the heart of God!




SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

No comments:

Post a Comment