UNDER HIS CARE


“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul” (vs 1-3).

What a kind Shepherd we serve! We have no need to worry, for He provides all we need. Every day we can follow Him to green pastures and feast on His Word. As He speaks to us each morning, we can literally “taste and see that the Lord is good” (Psalm 34:8). His word is the link that keeps us close to the Shepherd, so we can hear His voice and follow wherever He goes.

Every day, Jesus leads us to a Quiet Place where we can talk together, one on one. He says, “Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest awhile” (Mark 6:31). Jesus knows the heavy burdens that we bear. He sees how busy we are and what little time we have together. He wants to lift those heavy burdens and bring us heaven’s peace. So He invites us to follow Him, to a lonely spot where we can open our hearts and He can be our refuge.

“Come to Me,” He says, “all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” (Matthew 11:28,29). Drink in My Spirit as you drink at My quiet waters and you will find the rest you’re craving for. 



What do we need to have intimacy with Jesus? It starts with only two things—green pastures and quiet waters. Food for your soul and refreshment in prayer. If we come to the Shepherd each morning for those two things, we’ll thrive under His care. We’ll have exactly what we need to grow and flourish. 


But sometimes, even after a rich feast in the Shepherd’s company, a sheep can still wander away. Sheep are curious animals, and that curiosity can get them in big trouble. It can lead them far away from the Shepherd’s care. Sometimes, they can even get lost. And there are so many enemies out there that would just love to capture a lost or frightened sheep. 

But the kind Shepherd never abandons one of His flock. He drops everything and searches everywhere until he finds the sheep that is lost. He doesn’t stop until He brings the wanderer safely home.

In our Father’s pasture, the kind Shepherd does the same. When I turn my back on Jesus and insist on my own way, He comes looking for me. He knows what danger I’m in, so He pursues me day and night. And when He finds me, He carries me in His loving arms, back to the safety of the fold. He restores me to my rightful place as a sheep in the Savior’s fold. I can rest right at His side, with His loving hand upon me, feeling the warmth of tender care. My Shepherd restores my soul. 




And the Kind Shepherd sings, “Rejoice with Me, for I have found My sheep that was lost” (Luke 15:6). And “when a wanderer is found by the great Shepherd of the sheep, heaven and earth unite in thanksgiving and rejoicing” (Christ’s Object Lessons, pg. 189). Do not be afraid if you've wandered away. You are infinitely precious to the Father of the Pasture! He sings over you when you come home. There is nothing that brings more joy to His heart than to have you back where you belong.

And the Kind Shepherd reassures us today, “There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance” (Luke 15:7). “The Lord your God is in your midst…He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will renew you in His love; He will exult over you with loud singing” (Zephaniah 3:17, NRS).

No comments:

Post a Comment