TRUSTING GOD


“Some trust in chariots, and some in horses, but we will remember the name of the Lord our God” (Psalm 20:7).

When my children were small, I’d often hear them say, “Me do it!” or “I want to do it myself!” I’d smile when I heard those words because it was a clear sign they were growing up. They were taking a big step forward in being responsible and not being so dependent on me all day long. (Whew! I could breathe again!)




But this sense of autonomy doesn’t operate in a vacuum. We want our children to grow in independence—to learn to make choices and take care of themselves—but we don’t want them to be so independent that they think they’re a law unto themselves. They don’t need anyone’s help anymore. They can control their lives on their own.

But where is God in this picture? Autonomy can really get in the way in our walk with Jesus. It can interfere with following His Word and even knowing how to trust Him. How can I depend on God if I think I can handle things on my own? I may not even want Him around, telling me what to do or how to live my life. 



It can be pretty hard to trust in Jesus when you want to be independent. And trust is the first step in developing intimacy with Christ. To know Him is to trust Him. And trusting Jesus is more than just believing what He says. It’s admitting that I’m not as strong or smart as I thought I was. I can’t make it by myself. I need Him at the center of my life--guiding me, empowering me, and saving me.

Trust is letting go of my independence and letting God lead the way. It’s accepting that I'm His child and I’ll always need my Father to take care of me. So instead of me being in charge, I choose to follow Him. And rather than doing my own thing, I choose His way. I accept His wisdom, not my own understanding. I reach out for His strength to help me walk. And in place of my sinfulness, I receive His righteousness.

So "as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, You are my God" (Psalm 31:!4).

No comments:

Post a Comment