TIME OF TROUBLE


"The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You" (Psalm 9:9,10).

A crisis is coming upon the earth, a time of trouble that has never been seen before (Daniel 12:1). Our faith will be tested to the utmost as the last scenes of the Great Controversy between good and evil are played out. Revelation 13 pictures the crisis over allegiance to God. Will we worship the beast and its image even when a death penalty is pronounced? Or will we worship the Lord and keep His commandments regardless of what others may do?

How can I be rock-solid then if I'm quaking when trouble comes my way? To be faithful tomorrow, I must be faithful today. To trust in God when days are dark, I must learn to lean on Him now. As Hosea says, "It is time to seek the Lord, that He may come and rain righteousness on You" (Hosea 10:4, NRS).

But do I really know the Lord? Do I know His name? Am I calling on Him in prayer and claiming His precious promises? We must take time to lean on God's power. For "a season of distress  and anguish before us will require a faith that can endure weariness, delay and hunger--a faith that will not faint though severely tried" (The Great Controversy, pg. 621). And "those who exercise but little faith now are in the greatest danger of falling under the power of satanic delusions and the decree to compel the conscience" (ibid, pg. 622).

As I face my troubles today, I know that God is preparing me for the Time of Trouble. I need stronger faith muscles  to stand in that day so I won't flinch or surrender my conscience. I must not compromise principle in the smaller tests now, so I can have victory in the name of Jesus.


He will be our refuge in trouble if we take the time to seek Him today. Spending time in God's Word will strengthen our faith and make it rock-solid. If we're spending time with Jesus, we won't be swept away at the first sign of trouble. We'll stand our ground and trust in our Savior's care. His strength will be ours. 

But unshakable faith isn't built overnight. It's only forged a little at a time. So every moment I spend with Jesus is forging greater faith. For "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Romans 10:17). That's where it all begins. But I also need an experience of faith for my faith to grow. When I'm battered with the storms of life or everything around me is shaken to its core, my faith is going to be tested. And it's those testing times that give me opportunity to use my faith. (Faith strengthens as it's tested and it's often tested in the fire--when trials and trouble come our way). 


But if I make time to know the Lord, my faith won't disintegrate in the fire. It will only make me stronger because I'm not depending on myself to get through it. I'm turning to Jesus and leaning on His strength. I'm holding onto the power of His Word. And that power is actually the presence of God Himself! He is found in His Word. His Word is who He is. 

So that's how I know His name. I know it by listening to Jesus and  by experiencing who He is. He is Faithful and True. He is my Rock, my fortress and my Deliverer. Not merely because I've read it in the Bible but also because God has been there for me. Every single time. He's the only way I've made it through the fire.  My times of trouble have shown me that God is always there--He's faithful and true. He keeps His promises and He never leaves me to fight my battles alone. And even if no one steps up to protect me, God is on my side. And His presence gives me strength to move on and keep going. I know He'll never let me down. 

"I will never leave you or forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5). 




No comments:

Post a Comment