A NEW BETHEL

"You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy" (Psalm 16:11).

This past summer has been the happiest one I've ever had. All I could think of was how close I was to Jesus and He was to me. My heart often sang with the words, "the Lord has done great things for us, and we are glad!" (Psalm 126:3) How could I hang onto this wonderful sense of being wrapped in the presence of God? 

As I knelt quietly in prayer, the answer came. "Remember Bethel," the Lord said to me. "To remain in My joy, you must come to Bethel." I picked up my Bible and reread the familiar story. Jacob ended up at Bethel after stealing his brother's birthright and blessing. Esau swore to get even and Jacob was now running for his life. What guilt must have dogged his every step! Every sound must have put him on edge, thinking Esau was lurking near. Jacob felt so utterly alone. How could God help him now? Just look at what he'd done!

But during the night, Jesus came close to His wayward son. As Jacob lay on the ground, with a stone for a pillow, he saw angels moving up and down a celestial ladder. Jesus stood at the very top. And in a clear voice, He spoke to Jacob, "I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham, and the God of Isaac...Behold, I am with you, and will keep you wherever you go, and bring you back to this land, for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you" (Genesis 28:13-15). 


In the morning, Jacob woke up but the memory of the dream remained. "Surely the Lord is in this place," he said, "and I did not know it!" Then Jacob took the stone he'd used for a pillow and set it up as a pillar. It stood as a memorial for his encounter with Jesus. In the years ahead, Bethel reminded Jacob of the peace and assurance he found there. Without the stone pillar, Jacob might have forgotten what God had done. But his memorial was a constant reminder of where he'd been and what Christ had brought him through. 

After reading Jacob's story, I erected my own Bethel memorial. But instead of a stone, I set up a journal called my "Bouquet of Praise." Each morning, I write a short letter to God, thanking Him for at least 3 new blessings He's given. Some are physical blessings, such as a good night's rest (after having shoulder surgery, this isn't a small blessing). Or I thank Him for family and friends who encourage me when I'm down. Every day I try to think of at least 1 spiritual blessing--like His incredible mercy after falling on my face or giving victory over a weak area in my life. Each day I look for new reasons to thank Him so my praise is fresh like manna.

Over the past 6 months, I've counted over 300 blessings in my life! This gives me confidence when trials come my way, that the Lord wants to bless me. He wants my joy to be full. I'm learning that the more I praise Him, the more praise flows through my day. Communion with God is sweeter, because as I engage in a spirit of praise, I enter into His presence. And in the light of His presence, there is joy, never ending joy!

My Prayer
I praise You, O God, for your overflowing love! Thank you for filling me with the joy of thanksgiving and giving me eyes to see how many ways you love me. Help me to continually offer up the sacrifice of never-ending praise, for You are so worthy! For all my blessings come from You! In Jesus' precious name, Amen.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS


No comments:

Post a Comment