LISTEN AS A DISCIPLE

"The Lord God has given me the tongue of disciples, 
that I may know how to sustain 
a weary one with a word. 
He awakens me morning by morning; 
He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple."
(Psalm 119:32, NAS)

Christ was continually receiving from the Father that He might communicate with us. ‘The word which ye hear,’ He said, ‘is not Mine, but the Father’s which sent Me’ (John 14:24). ‘The Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister’ (Matthew 20:28). Not for Himself, but for others, He lived and thought and prayed. From hours spent with God, He came forth morning by morning, to bring the light of heaven to men. Daily He received a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit. In the early hours of the new day the Lord awakened Him from His slumbers, and His soul and His lips were anointed with grace, that He might impart to others. His words were given Him fresh from the heavenly courts, words that He might speak in season to the weary and oppressed (Christ’s Object Lessons, 139).


Before I gave my life to Jesus, I hated Monday mornings. I woke up with a list of all the stuff I had to do running in my head. Breakfast, laundry, getting lunch ready before my husband headed off work. And before I knew it, I was plowing through the list, without hardly taking a breath for God. But since I've been seeking Jesus in a new way, I find my 1st thoughts are of Him. My mind and heart turns to Jesus before my feet even touch the floor. 

When you wake up to the Spirit's call, He wakes you up to listen. For many years, I thought of communion with Christ as something I do--how I pray, how I study, how I memorize the Bible. But communion is really about a conversation with God. It's listening to Him in His Word, it's talking with Him in prayer. Either way, I'm turning to Jesus, to sit at His feet and listen. 



What does it mean to listen as a disciple? Is it different from listening to a friend? Usually when I talk with my friends, I share what's happening in my life. I listen to find out what's important to them. Is it any different with Jesus? I hear what's on His heart. But then, God turns listening on its ear. He shares what's important for me, not merely what's important to Him.

When I listen as a disciple, I also listen as a student. A disciple is someone in training who's learning from a wiser or more experienced teacher. But the goal is more than knowledge. For the Savior tells us, "A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher" (Luke 6:40). So, the goal of listening to Jesus isn't mere information. It's transformation! I listen to be like Jesus. The words on the pages of my Bible come to life as they meet the hunger in my heart. I reach out to God, He reaches out to me. And in between, His knowledge brings me Jesus and His life-giving power. But only when I enter His presence and take time to listen.


When Peter, James and John went on the mountaintop with Jesus, they beheld Him in all His glory. We catch a glimpse of that glory when we sit at Christ's feet. But before we open our mouths like Peter--hardly knowing what we will say--we need to first listen to the Savior. You might be eager to talk first (like Peter) or to do big things for God. But before you head down the mountain or say one little word, listen to what our Father says. "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!" (Matthew 17:5) 

Those last 2 words say so much, don't they? Hear Him. Be quiet just now and listen to Jesus. As you read your Bible, listen for the Spirit's voice. He has a personal message for you in His Word. He wants to give you the life in that word. So before you jump up and race into your day, take time to linger and listen. What is God saying to you today? What is His deep purpose in what you just read? 

My Prayer
Dear Father in heaven, open my ears that I may behold wondrous things in Your Word. Slow me down to listen to all You want to say to me. Incline my ear to fully enter Your presence as we talk together, you and I. And may I say like Samuel, "speak Lord, for Your servant hears" (1 Samuel 3:9). In Jesus' name, I ask this, Amen.

Share Your Thoughts






No comments:

Post a Comment