YOUR WORDS - MY WORDS



"Your Word I have hidden in my heart, that I may not sin against You!" (Psalm 119:11)

Yesterday, I embarked on another adventurer with Jesus. Do you need a challenge to stir you up? I certainly do. It helps my journey to stay fresh and new when I have a project to work toward. 

I like to have an aim when I wake up in the morning and open my Bible. I used to struggle over that. I'd sit and stew, "Now what shall I read today?" I'd flip through pages, wondering what I needed for the day. Sometimes I'd read a psalm or a chapter in Paul's letters or maybe a story in the gospels.  But I always had such an unsettled feeling! I felt like a little butterfly, flitting from flower to flower, sipping here and sipping there. But I've discovered in this journey with God that I need something more substantial when I seek Him with my whole heart.

My goal for some time has been digging in the Psalms. I find such joy and communion there. (It's actually where I've learned what intimacy with Jesus is all about.) This past week, I've spent more time there than ever. Lately, I've been traveling through the valley of the shadow over the death of my dear mother. Again and again, I've turned to God's promises to give me hope and strength. His love has been washing over me and drawing me back into His Word. Just yesterday, the Lord impressed me to carry the Psalms with me everywhere I go. How could I do that? By memorizing His Word!



I've chosen to begin with the longest Psalm, the pinnacle of this wonderful book--Psalm 119. It's a beautiful work of poetry, an acrostic poem that's divided into 28 stanzas, one for each letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Each stanza contains 8 verses, bringing this song to 176 lines of communion with God. 

Yesterday, I committed the 1st letter, ALEPH, to memory. As I read those words, I recognized the 1st 4 verses from a Scripture song I have on tape...

Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord. Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart. They also do no iniquity; they walk in His ways. You have commanded us to keep Your precepts diligently.

That made an easy start. Only 4 more to go. I began reading through the new verses and as I memorized one, I'd go back to the start and say them all together. Then I'd move onto the next verse. I'm not sure how many times I said those words out loud. But somewhere along the way, I really began listening to what I was saying. This was the prayer of someone who is seeking a deeper walk with Jesus, just like I am! Someone who wants nothing more than to be like Christ and follow in His ways. 



When I found I could say all 8 verses, I went to a quiet spot and began praying through the Psalm, verse by verse. I prayed that I might be undefiled as I walked with Jesus today, that all my steps would be His steps. I renewed my desire to seek Him with ALL my heart, with every fiber of my being--body, mind, and spirit. I chose to serve Jesus steadfastly and wholeheartedly. I prayed for victory over temptation, fear, and pride. I literally used the words of the Psalm, saying "Oh that my ways would be directed to keep Your statutes!" (vs 5) My heart was so full of praise by the time I reached verse 7. I joined in with praise for the love of God and for a stronger desire to walk in His ways.

As I went through my day, I kept hearing the words of that psalm running through my head. I could hear the blessing of being one of the undefiled, a disciple of the ALEPH. As I washed dishes or made supper, I kept meditating on those words. They gave me such a quiet peace that carried me through the day. But it was more than a peace. I knew that Jesus was beside me; His presence was more vivid as I contemplated His precious words. The burdens I'd been carrying were wonderfully lifted!

And today it's just the same. As I sat by the window, I could see a flock of juncos and sparrows pecking at the seed I put out for them that morning. But my thoughts were more on Jesus. This morning, I was planting the words of BETH (the Hebrew letter B) in my mind. Two of the verses I recognized. 

How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your Word. PSALM 119:9

Your Word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You. PSALM 119:11

As I learned the words of BETH in Psalm 119, saying them over and over again, I felt them burning into my heart. It reminded me of a time when Jesus appeared to Cleopas and another disciple on the road to Emmaus. When they finally realized it was Jesus who was talking to them, they said to one another, "Did not our hearts burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?" (Luke 24:32) I knew how those men must have felt! For as I'm saying God's word out loud and hiding it in my heart, I want those words to be mine! They're becoming my prayers and my desire in following Jesus.




I want to take heed according to His Word. PSALM 119:9
I want to say, 'With my whole heart I have sought You! O let me not wander from Your commandments!' PSALM 119:10
I want to hide God's Word in my heart so that I don't sin against God. PSALM 119:11
I want to declare with my lips all of God's righteous judgments. PSALM 119:12
I want to rejoice in the way of His testimonies. PSALM 119:13
I want to contemplate His ways. PSALM 119:15
And most of all, I don't ever want to forget His Word! PSALM 119:16

Can your heart be revived in just a day or 2? I believe it can! God's Word is so powerful, and when we come to Him with hungry or aching hearts, He can do more for us in a moment than it would take a man years to do on his own. 

Reading God's Word is a blessing in itself, but when I hide it in my heart and meditate on it through the day, it's like I'm digesting it. The life nutrients that are there are filling me up and bringing me closer to Jesus. I want to stay in His presence all day long! And now I can--as I talk with Him about His precious Word and how it can really become my own!


No comments:

Post a Comment