YOU ARE MY DISCIPLES INDEED



"Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free!" (John 8:31-32)
I certainly want to be counted as one of Christ's disciples--someone who follows Jesus and is learning to be just like Him. As I was reviewing my memory verses this morning, this one really spoke to me. Especially the part on abiding in Christ's word...it sounds like more than just knowing what it says.

When Jesus talks about abiding in the New Testament, it has more to do with staying connected or continuing as a living branch is connected to a vine, or living with someone in a house. It's a continual experience, where the Word comes deep within me, effecting all I am. In this verse, it's what enables me to know God's truth in an intimate way, enough so I will be set free from sin, so I can have victory in Jesus! Every day. Every moment of the day.


I believe that's only possible as I drink in His Word, believe in its power to save, and to live by it--by connecting my life with Christ's. And knowing the truth is both understanding and obeying what God says, because truth is the revelation of My Father's mind and heart. Something I truly want for myself. As Paul says, "We have the mind of Christ" (2 Corinthians 2:16). Isn't that an incredible verse? And to think it can be an reality in your life and mine--as we abide in Christ's Word and live by the power of the Holy Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment