THE FATHER'S HEART

"I meditate within my heart and my spirit makes diligent search" (Psalm 77:6).

On the last day of campmeeting (a week long spiritual retreat), I heard a soul-stirring sermon on how Jesus can be formed within, "the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27). The pastor gave a very simple message saying, "You must be born again" (John 3:3). But then, he added something I've never heard before--when we experience the new birth, Jesus doesn't merely give us a new  heart. He gives us His Father's heart! One that's filled with tenderness and love. One that rejoices when the lost sheep is found. One that goes looking for him in the night. The Father's heart can be yours and mine. Is it something we really want?


It's not a question we often ask, is it? If you're like me, you may delight in studying the Bible and other inspiring books. You may love spending hours at your computer or with a concordance propped up in your lap. But quite often, our studies don't take us deep enough into the Word to discover the Father's heart.

In my new journey with Jesus, I've discovered a way to do this. As I meditate on what I read in the Bible, He's opening my eyes to see what He sees. And it's radically changed how I approach Jesus and the study of His Word. I read with greater reflection now, asking myself questions as I go. But perhaps, it's not really me who's asking. I tend to think it's the Holy Spirit who's planting these questions in my mind.

One of the recurring questions He asks me is "What is My deep purpose for you today?" You see, you and I make plans of our own. Sometimes we make lists of things we want to accomplish. We go to work. We go to school. We hang out with friends. But as Jesus walked with His Father, He made no plans for Himself. Every day the Father revealed His plans and Jesus simply followed where His Father led. He said, "The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do" (John 5:19). "So should we depend on God, that our lives may be the simple outworking of His will" (Desire of Ages, pg. 208).




But God's "deep purpose" involves more than what I simply do each day. It's about who I am or what needs to be deep inside. I remember one morning reading Psalm 101:2, "I will walk wisely in a perfect way. Oh, when will You come to me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart." As I read those words, I could see the many mistakes I've made at home--the angry words I've said, the times I'd jumped to wrong conclusions, the time I'd wasted. How could I possibly walk in my home with a perfect heart when I'm so flawed?
But it was those words that began my conversation with Jesus, not as a justification of my sin, but as someone desperate for answers. How could I really do it?

As I waited on the Lord, praying for direction, the Spirit gently asked me another question. "Who is perfect in love and righteousness? Is it you?" And then He brought back these words to my mind, "As for God, His way is perfect; the Lord's Word is flawless; He shields all who take refuge in Him" (2 Samuel 22:31). That's how the light turned on. It was a new step in communion with God. As I spend time with Jesus, He becomes my refuge. And His presence that is formed within is what enables me to walk within my home with a perfect heart. 

My natural heart is deceitful and desperately wicked (Jeremiah 17:9). If I listened to my heart, I'd think everything was A-OK when it really isn't. But when I give myself to Jesus each and every day, I have my Father's heart. And He shares with me just what I need and how we can walk together.

Because I'm taking time to meditate--to ask these questions along the way--I'm able to hear God more personally. I'm able to ask questions I'd never ask myself. Now on the surface, it may look like God is only pointing out my shortcomings. But it's much more that that. Because the revelation He's giving me leads me to pray more fervently, to pray specifically, and to be more open to my great need. And  I think it's turned my Quiet Time with Jesus into a conversation more than just a monologue. And that alone has brought us into deeper communion with each other. For me, that's the real remedy. For communion gives me my Father's heart!

"Will you carefully search your heart and see what you indulge in and cherish that displeases Jesus and keeps the door of your heart shut against the dear Savior? Is pride or love of the world or selfishness in your heart shutting Jesus away from you? Go alone and pray for grace, over-coming grace. Die to these sins and make the happy exchange for Jesus, His presence, His love, His power" (Youth's Instructor, 10/1/57).

Share Your Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment