THE COMING STORM


"As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man" (Luke 17:26).

The story of Noah's flood is such a gripping one because this man was such a tower of strength. It hit me this morning that Noah endured an incredible tempest twice in his life. Before God sent the flood to destroy all living things, Noah stood for 120 years as a fearless preacher of righteousness. For 120 years, he warned everyone he could of the coming judgment. He entreated them with the love of a father to come into the ark and be saved--to return to God, for He would forgive! But the more he preached, the more they mocked him, and the more they rebelled against the law of the Lord.

"But Noah stood like a rock amid the tempest. Surrounded by popular contempt and ridicule, he distinguished himself by his holy integrity and unwavering faithfulness. A power attended his words, for it was the voice of God to man through His servant. Connection with God made him strong in the strength of infinite power" (Patriarchs and Prophets, pg. 96).

Though surrounded by wickedness in every form, when wickedness was at its zenith, Noah was blameless, righteous in word and deed, a man of flawless integrity. And through his sterling example, his whole family embraced the God that he loved so much! 




The story of Noah has something for every generation, but especially for these last days (before Christ comes). For very soon, this world will be destroyed again--not by a flood of waters, but by heaven-sent fire. This earth will be cleansed before God makes "a new heaven and a new earth in which righteousness dwells" (2 Peter 3:13). And like it was in the days of Noah, He will have a remnant who will speak for God, warning all to return to the Lord and come into His ark of safety. That ark is His church who ''keeps the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus'' (Revelation 14:12). 



I'm praying this morning that I may be the witness Noah was--today and every day until He comes. I know, by God's grace, I can be strong in God's power--blameless, righteous, and perfect in my generation. I'm not able on my own to do it, but I know if I put my life into Christ's hands, He will ''sanctify [me] completely'' so my ''whole spirit, soul, and body'' may ''be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ'' (1 Thessalonians 5:23). For the One who called Noah is the one who calls me--and He who calls me is faithful, who also will do it (1 Thessalonians 5:24). As I cooperate with my Savior, He'll live His life through me! Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment