OH HOW I LOVE YOUR WORD!


"Your Word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You" (Psalm 119:11).

Every year our family spends a week at campmeeting, a spiritual retreat for families all over Michigan. People from all over the United States often come too. It's a special time when we seek the Lord, learn more about Jesus in Bible seminars, attend evening meetings, listen to inspiring music and catch up with old friends. I look forward to campmeeting all year! It's like a little taste of heaven.

But this year we couldn't go. When it was registration week, we didn't know if my husband would have a job or if we'd be moving. Everything was up in the air. So campmeeting would have to wait for next year.

But thankfully God intervened. Everything worked out with my husband's job. And at the end of the summer, we got to go to a smaller campmeeting in the upper peninsula. I couldn't wait til we could camp out in the beautiful north woods! I was so ready for a mini-vacation, far away from all the distractions back home.



But I didn't expect to have my life turned around. And in such a simple way. One morning during Bible class, I heard a fantastic presentation on why we should memorize Scripture. The more I listened, the more I heard God's voice, speaking to my heart.  You see, I used to memorize Scripture, back when I was in a discipleship class called F.A.S.T.  It helped me so much in sharing my faith with others. But somehow, in all the busyness of life, I got away from it and I couldn't remember all the verses I used to know.  It was time to recapture the joy of hiding God's Word in my heart. 

Every morning now, I memorize a Bible verse or two, using a program called Scripture Typer. It's such an easy way to keep Jesus in my heart! I practice by typing out verses I want to know. I start  out by copying the words from the screen. Then I try to do it on my own by filling in the missing words. Finally, I type out the whole thing without any cues at all. If I run into any trouble, Scripture Typer gives me clues to help keep me on track. 



I can choose Bible verses from Scripture Typer's library or I can put together my own files. I like the 2nd way best, choosing topics I want to study and remember. I started out by choosing 12 verses about how valuable I am to Jesus. I also have files on God's peace, revival, righteousness by faith, and victory in Christ. In just a month, I've already memorized my first 100 verses using Scripture Typer. I'm so amazed at how easy it really is!

But memorizing Scripture is so much more. It's a powerful way to draw close to Jesus! It's a way to meditate on God's Word and hear what He wants to say to you personally. The other day, when I was reviewing Ephesians 2:4-7, I was so overwhelmed by the love of God that tears began to flow. It was like I was hearing the gospel for the first time! Just think of it! God reached out to save us when we were still His enemies, when we were running away from Him and rejecting His plan of mercy! But He didn't give up on us. He went after us and died in our place. But His plan isn't just to forgive us because He invites us, even now, to sit with Him in the heavenly places! You and I can sit on God's throne, by faith, in the very presence of God! It's just too amazing beyond words!

And the power within God's Word is changing my heart. I feel the pull of the world is losing its grip on me and the voice of God's Spirit is so loud and clear--now that I am more in tune to God's voice and memorizing Scripture every day. 



My prayer life is so different too. Every day, I thank the Lord for the blessings in my memory verses! There's always food for prayer in the Word of God! Today, I was memorizing Revelation 12:7--"And they overcame him [the devil] by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death." And I praised the Lord for the precious blood of Jesus that flows from Calvary's cross and cleanses me from every sin! Through the merits of the Savior's blood, I can stand before God without fault, clothed in the garments of salvation and covered by Christ's perfect life. Through the power of His blood, I can have victory. For "I am crucified with Christ" and "it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:20). 

My heart is so very full with the love of God from memorizing His Word! I feel the presence of Jesus like never before. I'm rejoicing in the many victories I see going on--my peace is greater, my joy is fuller. I often feel like Jacob did, saying: "This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven!" (Genesis 28:17)  

I just can't get enough of my Savior and His precious Word! He is truly reviving my heart. I pray you'll discover the same thing as you spend time with Jesus by memorizing Scripture and abiding in His love!







No comments:

Post a Comment