MY DELIGHT: Seeking Jesus in the Psalms


"Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of the scoffers; but their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law they meditate day and night" (Psalm 1:1-2, NRS).

I've been seeking a new journey with Jesus as I walk with Him through the Psalms. I keep coming back to this book because it's just packed with lessons of communion, on how I can keep Jesus foremost in my life. Psalm 1 is the first step as I grow in intimacy with my Savior. It points to the Word of God as my delight and asks me what kind of things I delight in. 

We all delight in something that matters. It's what we think about, talk about. It's something that brings us incredible joy. 

Is the Bible my delight? Too many times, we think of God's Word as An Option rather than The Only Option. I think that's why it loses its power in our lives. It's not the center of all we do. All the time. 

But that's what it takes for intimacy to begin. We have to turn to Jesus through the Bible and see Him as the Only Way to travel on this journey to heaven. And we have to turn to His Word as the Only Option in how to think and live and grow.


God's blessings rain down on us when we're walking on the right road. And I can tell I'm on the right path by who is traveling with me. Who am I keeping in step with? Who do I listen to?  Who has the greatest influence in my life?

It's not on the path that sinners tread. It's not in the chair where scoffers sit. It's on the path where my Savior walks and where I can hear His clear, still voice. Growing closer to Jesus means I'm listening to Him. His voice is the One I hear all day long. And as I begin this journey in the Psalms--seeking an intimate walk with Jesus--I'm learning to delight in all He says as I spend more time in His Word.

A key for us today is Delight in God's Word. Think about it in the morning and the evening. Take time to read Psalm 1 this morning in all its beauty. And jot down your thoughts and how the Lord is speaking to you. Ask yourself what you've been delighting in and compare it with how the Bible fits into your life. Is it "The Only Option" as you seek to know the Lord?

Dear Jesus, 
Please give us a greater hunger for You in our life. Fill us with greater delight for spending time together in Your Word. Help us to see You in all we read and to find lessons of communion that we can use on our journey to our heavenly home. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment