NOT I--BUT CHRIST



"For he whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure" (John 3:34).

I've always been intrigued by John the Baptist. His words are few in the gospels, but they've always been like magnets, drawing me to sit down and really listen. John's journey is what I want my journey to be. For he lived so close to God that he could say, "He must increase but I must decrease" (John 3:30). 

You can't see the full wattage of this light unless you understand what John's life was really like. He was a man with a mission. From the day he was born, God called him to be a "prophet of the Highest" "to go before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways"  (Luke 1:76).

When his ministry began, Israel was on the brink of revolt. Herod Archelaus had just been removed from office and Judea was now under the full control of Rome. Heavy taxes, harsh treatment, and the determined efforts by the Roman governors to wipe out Jewish culture eventually kindled a revolt. Thousands of Jews lost their lives, but the iron monarchy of Rome remained strong. "All this intensified the national hatred against Rome, and increased the longing to be freed from her power" (Desire of Ages, pg. 104).

Then from the wilderness, the people heard a startling message, "Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand!" (Matthew 3:2) Dressed like the prophet Elijah, in camel's hair and a leather belt, John called the people to the desert by his plain, simple message. His words were straight and convicting--and so convincing that multitudes flocked to the Jordan to hear  this strange, new teacher. Rulers, rabbis, soldiers, fishermen--they all came to hear John. And many returned to the Lord. Many repented of their sins and were baptized.




"For a time the Baptist's influence over the nation had been greater than that of its rulers, priests, or princes. If he had announced himself as the Messiah, and raised a revolt against Rome, priests and people would have flocked to his standard" (ibid, pg. 178). That kind of success could easily go to your head. But John didn't buy into it. He didn't seek the world's applause or its power. He was here to point to Jesus, "the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" (John 1:29)

And then, John's apparent success hit the skids. Every day he saw less people coming out  to the Jordan or another river where he was baptizing. He saw the people turning from Him to follow Jesus and soaking in His words. But John the Baptist only smiled from the sidelines. Some of his loyal disciples were clearly upset, but not John. He said, "He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled" (John 3:29). John was not the Light of the world, "but was sent to bear witness of that Light" (John 1:8). Now that the Light was shining and Christ was on the scene, John could accept silence and obscurity once again. All that mattered was Jesus and that all could turn to Him!

I can see now why Jesus said John the Baptist was the greatest of all the prophets (see Matthew 11:11).   He was so filled with the Spirit that there was no room for self. Or maybe it was the other way around. And perhaps that's why John himself said, "Of His fullness we have all received and grace for grace" (John 1:16). God could pour Himself without measure into this messenger because John was so empty. He was ready to be filled. And God had so much room to work with! 



I know it's the same for us. When we become emptied of self, we'll have more room for the Holy Spirit. But how can you be emptied of self? How can you go through the day, thinking "not I but Christ"? And then acting out that prayer so only Jesus can be seen? It's really impossible for us to do that on our own. We can  only consent for God to do it for us. Then our prayer will be, "Lord, take my heart, for I cannot give it. It is Thy property. Keep it pure, for I cannot keep it for Thee. Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unChristlike self. Mold me, fashion me, raise me into a pure and holy atmosphere, where the rich current of Thy love can flow through my soul" (Christ's Object Lessons, pg. 159). 

Not just in the morning, but all through the day, I need to say this prayer. When I began this new journey with Jesus, I longed to 'seek the Lord with all my heart' (Jeremiah 29:13). And I asked the Lord to show me what that meant. And this is one of the most important answers He gave me. To seek Him with everything I've got means I must continually seek for a John-the-Baptist experience--a continual, heart-breaking confession of sin and humbling my soul before Him. Only by saying "not my will, but Yours be done," or "not I, but Christ" and depending completely on Him will self die out. And when I spend more time with Jesus, these prayers will be like a fire burning in my heart. And the sweet Spirit will find that I am an empty cup that He can fill to overflowing. 

"The Christian's life is not a modification or improvement of the old life, but a transformation of the nature. There is a death to sin and self, and a new life altogether. This change can be brought about only by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit" (Ye Shall Receive Power, pg. 323).


Share Your Thoughts










No comments:

Post a Comment